]]>
Google
 
Web netmetrics.blogspot.com
 

« Home | Moving Averages For Forecasting Trends in Internet... » | Pixl Tracking - Tracking Ad Campaigns on the Internet » | Whew - Busy, Busy on New RSS Books and Blogs » | PAT - RSS PEAK ACCESS TIME » | RSS Headline Item Click-Through Rate » | Shameless Self-Promotion of New "RSS Metrics" Book » | ADR - Average Daily Readership » | The Difference Between Web Site Metrics and RSS Me... » | Web Site and RSS Feed Metrics Blog »

Friday, September 09, 2005

More About Using Multiple Moving Averages For Internet Data Mining

Multiple Moving Averages (MMAs), as I mentioned in yesterday's post, have incredible value for determining what data trends have gone by, as well as for predicting what trends may come. I've noticed that there is an incredible skew in visitors to my consulting website coming from Korea and China. That in itself isn't bad. What's bad is that they are consistently trying to access the same non-existent pages and web scripts. Almost every single one of them is doing this. Now, I haven't yet checked if this is happening with visitors from other countries. And as my site has not yet seemed to be adversely affected, I haven't taken any drastic measures.

What I intend to do, as I collect more data, is to map the timeline of these "attacks". Many of them seem to happen within a few minutes of each other, which is often what happens when hackers try to create a DDOS, or Distributed Denial of Service. Basically, the idea is to so overload your web server that they cause it to crash. But this is usually done to websites that such hackers have some moralistic viewpoint against. I've done nothing to warrant this, so I don't really see it as a threat just yet. But once I have more visitor data in my web server logs, producing an MMA will help me to determine whether or not it is a threat, or just some strange Internet phenomenon.

(c) Copyright 2005-present, Raj Kumar Dash, http://netmetrics.blogspot.com


E-mail this post



Remenber me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 

About me

  • I'm blogslinger
  • From Canada
  • Writer, author, former magazine editor and publisher, amateur photog, amateur composer, online writer/ blogger, online publisher, freelancer

  • My profile
Powered for Blogger
by Blogger Templates